Thursday, April 29, 2010

“the beautiful, needful thing”: in memory of Dr. Dorothy Height

This morning in the nation’s capitol, mourners said farewell to Dr. Dorothy Height, a life-long Civil Rights activist to whom this nation owes a debt of thanks. Rather than end my blogging stint on Harriet describing some of the revolutionary things that National Poetry Month has allowed this nation and its poets to accomplish, as I had originally planned, I have decided to dedicate this space to the memory of Dr. Dorothy Height. This is fundamentally about poetry, too, because I am curious about the ways we have and can and will memorialize the women and men who make this world the sort of place in which I want to live.

- Camille Dungy on Harriet, the blog of the Poetry Foundation - read the full piece here, including a nice shout out to Split This Rock.

No comments: