Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Poem of the Week: Tim Seibles




















Vendetta, May 2006


My thoughts are murder to the State and involuntarily go plotting against her.

--Henry David Thoreau


As if leaving

it behind would

have me lost

in this place, as if


keeping it

could somehow

save me from the

parade of knives,


I have held

my rage on a short

leash like a good,

mad dog whose bright


teeth could keep

the faces of our enemies

well lit. Is it


wrong to hate

the leaders? Am I wrong

to hate their silk

ties and their


secret economies?

Am I wrong? Am I?

Look how they


work the stage

like cool comedians,

ribbing the nations this

way, then that --


gaff after giggle

filling the auditoriums

with the empty

skulls. Maybe this


is the moment

to abandon

metaphor: shouldn't somebody

make them


suffer: now that

war is easy money,

won't the reasons

keep coming to see


how well

people die?


.....I guess this

is the world

I was born


into: moonlight,

sunshine--kind city


of my mother's lap, my

father....tossing me


up....and catching me --


I remember

the first time I saw


autumn....outside

my window: the colors


came with the smell

of burning


leaves....and starving

in our basement,


the crickets

trying to stave off


the chill, still working

their little whistles

after dark.


....I think, even

then, I knew a season

would come

for us: the wind


tilting slowly, but

suddenly everyone

is under the cold


still holding on

to their wallets

as the government


quietly turns....and day

after day, the terrible stories


cover everything.



- Tim Seibles


Used by permission.


Tim Seibles was born in Philadelphia, PA in 1955. He is the author of several books of poems including Hurdy-Gurdy; Hammerlock; and, most recently, Buffalo Head Solos. He is a former National Endowment for the Arts fellow and has been a writing fellow at the Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center in Massachusetts. Seibles also received an Open Voice Award from the 63rd Street Y in New York City. His work has been featured in anthologies such as Manthology; Black Nature; Seriously Funny; The Autumn House Anthology of American Poetry; So Much Things to Say; and Best American Poetry 2010. He has been a workshop leader for the Cave Canem Writers Retreat and for the Zora Neale Hurston/Richard Wright Foundation. Seibles is visiting faculty for the University of Southern Maine's low-res Stonecoast MFA Program. His home is in Norfolk, VA where, as an associate professor of English, he teaches in Old Dominion University's English Department and MFA in writing program.


Please feel free to forward Split This Rock Poem of the Week widely. We just ask you to include all of the information in this email, including this request. Thanks!


Split This Rock
www.splitthisrock.org
info@splitthisrock.org
202-787-5210

No comments: