- First Prize: "Photograph-Gaylani, Baghdad," by Constance Norgren, Brooklyn, New York. Constance receives $500, free festival registration, and an invitation to read the winning poem at Split This Rock Poetry Festival in March 2012.
- Second Prize: "Daughter," by Catherine Calabro, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Catherine receives $250 and free registration at the 2012 festival.
- Third Prize: "The Strap-On Speaks," by Kendra DeColo, Nashville, Tennessee. Kendra receives $250 and free registration at the 2012 festival.
Read the winning poems here.
- "In a Jerusalem Market" by Naomi Benaron, Tucson, Arizona
- "Msenge" by Casey Charles, Missoula, Montana
- "The Rising" by Raina J. León, Germany
"It was an honor to judge the poems for the 2011 Split This Rock Contest. What comes through in all the entries is a sense of integrity of voice, coupled with a feeling that something necessary and urgent is at stake. This urgency expresses itself in the risks taken with content, as writers enter the borderlands around body and country, crossing the boundaries into spirit. In the act of addressing the difficult and the unsayable, these poems bring hope."-Jan Beatty
With gratitude for all who continue to speak out for justice,
Split This Rock