Today our hearts hurt to breaking from the pathological war on Black people - from Charleston to the Dominican Republic to Fairfield, Ohio and beyond. At Split This Rock, we're preparing to go live next week with a new resource, The Quarry: A Social Justice Poetry Database, in which we've gathered all the astonishing poems we've published in our Poem of the Week series over the past 5 years, along with contest winners, video from the four Split This Rock Poetry Festivals, and more.
You'll be able to find poems that speak grief, love, rage, hopefulness on days such as these. We are so grateful to the brave, visionary poets for their words.
Searchable by social justice theme, author's identity, state, and geographic region, The Quarry will go live Wednesday, June 24, on Split This Rock's website: www.SplitThisRock.org.
If you're in DC, celebrate with us on Thursday, June 25 at 7pm at Busboys and Poets - Brookland. The party will include appetizers, poetry readings by poets and activists, music, a demonstration of The Quarry, and a fabulous silent auction to benefit Split This Rock. Details below.
Can't join us? You can still donate to help sustain The Quarry and all of Split This Rock's transformative programs.
MANY THANKS to all who have invested in Split This Rock and all who may still do so! A gift this June helps us start our next fiscal year strong on July 1. Learn more below.
In peace and poetry,
Split This Rock
PS - Thanks to all who proposed names for the database. We didn't choose from the contest entries, but we're so grateful to all who entered and for the thoughtfulness and creativity of Splitistas!
Come Celebrate with Us!
Party to Launch
The Quarry: A Social Justice Poetry Database -
With Silent Auction!
Thursday, June 25, 7 - 9 pm
Busboys and Poets - Brookland
625 Monroe Street NE, Washington, DC
Wheelchair accessible. On the Metro Red Line.
Join us for the official launch of The Quarry: A Social Justice Poetry Database, featuring DJ Phenomejon, poetry readings and performances by activists and poets, appetizers, a demonstration of the database, and a silent auction! FREE!
Here are some of the fabulous items you'll be invited to bid on at the party:
• A week at Wellspring House writers retreat
• An hour-long massage, by Donald Norwood, LMT
• Registration at Mariposa Poetry Retreat
• A personal yoga session with Yael Flusberg
• A tarot card reading by Institute for Policy Studies Fellow Karen Dolan
• Split This Wok: An Asian noodle meal cooked in your home by Regie Cabico
• Vegan meal cooked in your home by poet and Veg-Equality founder Chris August
• Critique of up to five poems by Split This Rock Executive Director Sarah Browning
• A personal coaching session by Anne Pellicciotto, MSOD
• Copies of Digest, the Pulitzer Prize-winning collection by Gregory Pardlo, signed by the author
• And more!
We are very excited for all of the festivities and cannot wait to celebrate with you!
For more information: email@example.com, 202-787-5210