Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Poems of Resistance, Power & Resilience – Nancy Boutilier

Close up image of a microphone on a stage. The audience that is facing the microphone is blurred, appearing as a myriad of colors (red, white, green, yellow, etc.)
As the incoming administration builds its agenda of attack on marginalized people, on freedom of speech, on the earth itself, poetry will continue to be an essential voice of resistance. Poets will speak out in solidarity, united against hatred, systemic oppression, and violence and for justice, beauty, and community.
                
In this spirit, Split This Rock is offering its blog as a Virtual Open Mic. For the rest of this frightening month, January of 2017, we invite you to send us poems of resistance, power, and resilience.

We will post every poem we receive unless it is offensive (containing language that is derogatory toward marginalized groups, that belittles, uses hurtful stereotypes, explicitly condones or implies a call for violence, etc.). After the Virtual Open Mic closes, we hope to print out and mail all of the poems to the White House.

For guidelines on how to submit poems for this call, visit the Call for Poems of Resistance, Power & Resilience blog post. 


***


Unaugural Poem #1: UNPRESIDENTED
by Nancy Boutilier

I have been unpresidented.
In exchange for a man of vision

and generosity

of good humor and inclusivity,

I am handed 

a man of carelessness

and ego

of cruel playground humor

and ego

of duplicity and studied lies

and unleashed ego

who rates

no inauguration

that I will witness 

and so I dedicate myself to his 

Unauguration 

declare myself an Unaugural poet

and I will witness

for now

for the future

four years

No comments: