Deadline: February 28, 2013
Free to enter!
After last year’s great success, Abortion Care Network (ACN), a national organization of independent providers and prochoice supporters, and Split This Rock (a national group bringing poetry to the public realm) announce our second annual poetry contest in conjunction with ACN’s annual meeting in March 2013.
The experience of women who seek abortion and other reproductive services is as varied as the individuals involved. For some, there is safety, relief, and good medical care. For others, there is doubt, harassment, and stigma. For all, health care takes place in a politicized context in which even the most basic choices about our bodies, sexuality, and childbearing can be scrutinized. Reproductive rights are also linked to a whole host of other social issues, such as women’s economic status and the accessibility of safe, affordable health care.
ACN and Split This Rock welcome the submission of poems on these themes. We will award the following prizes: First ($100), Second ($75) and Third Place ($50), and Honorable Mention. Judging will done by Split This Rock and ACN.
The first-place winner will be invited to read the winning poem at ACN’s annual meeting. The prize-winning poems will be published in the ACN’s quarterly newsletter, The Provider, in the conference program distributed to all meeting attendees, and on Split This Rock’s website at www.SplitThisRock.org. Poets from any part of the U.S. may submit poems, but we regret that no travel funds will be provided so that the winning poet may read at the meeting.
Read last year’s winning poems here: www.splitthisrock.org/contest_abortionrights.html
- Submit up to 3 poems (6 pages maximum) by midnight, Thursday, February 28, 2013, in the body of a single email to: email@example.com.
- Attachments will not be opened. We will request Word attachments of finalist poems.
- One entry per poet, please.
- All styles and approaches accepted.
- Free to enter.
- Previously published in print is acceptable, but, please, not on the web.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if the poem has been accepted for publication elsewhere.