Open Call to Festival Participants forSplit This Rock began the Poem of the Week program in October 2009 as a way of publicizing the poets who were to be featured in the 2010 festival. We have since continued Poem of the Week--post-festival and in the off years--by featuring poems by poets who were registered participants in Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness 2008, 2010, and/or, now, 2012!
Poem of the Week Series
Poem of the Week sends one poem per week on a social issue to a wide audience: Split This Rock's list serv and Facebook group (now totaling over 3,000 nationwide, combined), and the national and international networks of the Institute for Policy Studies. We also post the poem here on the blog. We encourage everyone who receives the poem to forward and post it widely, so that it reaches a broad public.
Please send us poems for consideration. Guidelines are as follows:
· To be considered for Poem of the Week at this time, you must have been a registered participant at the 2008, 2010, or 2012 festival - volunteers and scholarship recipients included - or a featured poet.
· Please send up to three short poems (poems of 40 lines or under work best) as a single email attachment in Word to: email@example.com. The subject should read: "[Your last name] POTW submission."
· Include, in the cover e-mail, your full contact information (name, address, phone, email address) and a bio, up to 75 words.
· Poems may have been previously published in a book, chapbook, or paper journal, but not on the web, please. If previously published, you must own the rights to the work. Please include the citation, including the web address of the publisher, so we may link to it.
· Poems will be featured on a rolling basis. We will consider poems for summer and fall if they arrive by May 31 and for the winter and spring if they arrive by November 30.
· Please only submit once per reading period. A poet will only be featured once in Poem of the Week.
· We will contact you if your poem is accepted to confirm details, and may request additional information at that time.